pie and papercuts

i like books. all the books

Last Kiss of Summer

Last Kiss of Summer - Marina Adair 3.5 Stars

*Received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

Kennedy needs a new start, and what better new start than relocating across the country and buying a pie shop. Luke is trying to get his hard apple cider business out into the big world. They both need lots of apples. Kennedy signed a somewhat sketchy contract when purchasing her pie shop, and Luke just happens to be the son of one of the former owners, who also owned the orchard their famous apples come from. See where this is going?

It's not insta-love, which is great. But halfway through I never wanted to hear/read the word swagger again, and Kennedy's poor me, never good enough thought process was just too much. But overall the writing was competent (a few missing words/typos, and a few clunky sentences I had to reread to fully grasp). Luke and Kennedy weren't completely rounded, but not super flat.

I do have to say, there is such a thing as the "hero" waiting a little too late to redeem himself, and this was almost a case of that. The big blow coming so late in the story, worse yet when he had tried to cover it up after having a chance to come clean earlier on. I'm a big fan of honesty, and so this did irk me some.

All in all a nice, quick read, and it made me look into Adair's other books.

His Stolen Bride